O’Neill Student Spotlight

Shane Rodriguez  Connect on LinkedIn
Major: Public Financial Management
Previous Organization: Indiana Legislative Session; Government Affairs Intern

Student image

Can you tell our students a little bit about yourself and the work you have done?

I chose to major in Finance because it fits my strength of working with numbers. I also wanted to work in government and a Finance degree from the O’Neill School of Public Affairs allows me to do both. I have also been taking classes to obtain a minor in Financial Literacy. This has helped me gain private and public financial experience while helping me decide what career path I want to pursue in the future. I have completed an internship with the Indiana Legislative Session which allowed me to work with lobbyists and sit in on committee hearings to give updates on bills. 

What does your professional journey look like going forward?

Looking forward I want to go into private sector finance. I am considering pursuing a career in banking, corporate finance, or financial analysis.

What advice do you have for someone who wants to follow your career path?

My advice for students who major in Finance and want to work in corporate finance is to pursue internships and professional experience. I would encourage students to obtain multiple professional experiences to have a variety of knowledge. I would also encourage students to get involved in IU and The O’Neill school to connect with students and faculty. 

Favorite networking technique or strategy?

I found my previous internship through the O’Neill Career Hub website on the internship search section. This past year I attended multiple career fairs and prepared beforehand. I prepared by doing research on the companies present and I prepared questions for the employers. This experience has also helped me through the recruitment process this year. 

What drives you to be successful everyday?

To be successful each day, I focus on staying disciplined in my work. In a degree program like Finance, practice is crucial to understanding the material and knowing how to apply it. Adding my minor in Financial Literacy has helped me gain more experience. These classes have helped me understand operations, data analytics, and personal finance. I am excited because there are many interesting electives to take to gain a broad range of financial knowledge. 

The O’Neill school’s motto is “Lead for the Greater Good,” what does this mean to you?

Leading for the Greater Good means being selfless and putting the needs of others before your own. I also like to think of this as doing our personal duty to create the greatest good for the greatest number of people. I was originally drawn to this because I wanted to work in government finance but look forward to seeing how I will be able to use this message throughout my career.

By Erinn Drone
Erinn Drone Assistant Director of Career Services