O’Neill Internship Spotlight: Shannon Halinski – Environment America

Headshot image of Shannon Halinski

Name: Shannon Halinski 

Organization: Environment America 

Position: Federal Team Intern: PFAS Campaign 

Location: Washington, DC (Hybrid) 

Major: Law and Public Policy 

Year: Junior 

• What did your professional journey look like from high school to your summer internship?  

I started my first internship during my senior year of high school at the Fishers City Court. I continued on with them until I left for college in August. My college career began at Saint Louis University where I majored in Biology. I ultimately decided I’d rather work on policy to solve climate change than research it, and switched majors and eventually schools, ending up here at IU during my sophomore year. Being a student at O’Neill, I learned about relevant policy issues and laws behind the scenes like the Clean Water Act of 1972. Right after transferring, I decided to participate in the Washington Leadership Program. I interned on the Hill in Representative Larry Bucshon’s office (IN08). Working on the Hill was helpful to my understanding of lobbying, conducting myself in professional spaces, and navigating legislative trackers.  

• Can you tell our students a little bit about yourself and the work that you did?  

With Environment America this summer, I worked on our federal campaign to “turn off the tap on toxics” and stop the discharge of PFAS into our waterways. My main responsibilities included tracking relevant legislative activity and actions by various Representatives/Senators. I had the opportunity to meet with legislators and committee staff to lobby on specific issues while in D.C. I also drafted social media toolkits, press releases, and website content on topics relevant to our campaign. While I always had an interest in environmental policy, I didn’t see myself as an advocate until I got involved with this organization.

• What skills are most important in your role?  

Skills like writing, research, and public speaking are all equally important. Given that your main goal is to convince other people to care about the issue you are working on, and hopefully take action, being an effective communicator is extremely important. Another incredibly important skill is the ability to care deeply about the issues you are working on, without letting it overwhelm you. 

image of Shannon Halinski
  • What trends do you see on the horizon in this type of career? 

I think young people will begin getting more involved. Lobbying is no longer a closed door, boys club industry. There’s a growing interest in politics and policy, and Gen-Z is leading that conversation, especially regarding environmental issues. 

• What advice do you have for someone who wants to follow your career path?  

First identify something you care about, find a few other people who feel the same way, and work with them to bring about change.  

• Our school’s motto is “Lead for the Greater Good,” what does this mean to you?  

To lead for the greater good is to work to bring about positive change. I’ve always strived to leave the planet better than I found it, and through Environment America, I got to put that ideal into action. 

Environment America logo
By Brianna Wright
Brianna Wright Peer Educator