Are you interested in a career with the federal government? If so, the PMF program may be for you. This highly competitive, 2 year paid fellowship gives finalists immediate noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term position upon completion of the program.
The Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program is administered by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM). Each year, candidates apply to the program in efforts to be selected as Finalists. Finalists are then eligible for appointment as Presidential Management Fellows (Fellows; PMFs). Graduate students in the O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs are consistently selected as PMF finalists in this distinguished program.
Eligibility is based on:
- completion of advanced degree requirements by August 31st of the following year of the annual application OR
- if you have completed an advanced degree from a qualifying college or university during the previous two years from the opening date of the PMF Program’s annual application announcement, you are eligible to apply.
Benefits of the PMF program
In addition to working at a single Federal agency, you may have the option to participate in a rotational opportunity at another agency. These rotational opportunities will challenge you even further and give you insight into how other areas of government operate.
While serving as a PMF, you will receive:
- 160 hours of formal interactive training (on leadership, management, policy and other topics)
- Challenging work assignments
- Feedback on your work
- At least one 4 to 6 month developmental assignment
- Potential for promotions and career ladders
- Upon certification of completion, which permits immediate noncompetitive conversion to a permanent or term position and carries prestige anywhere you go thereafter
To become a PMF, you must participate in an rigorous, multi-hurdle process. It takes patience and endurance, but also gives you a chance to demonstrate your leadership ability and potential. As a PMF, you will have earned your place in the program, and the opportunity to grow professionally, serve your country, and make a difference! The very first step in successfully becoming a PMF is paying attention to the details of the annual application and assessment process.
- PMF Information Sessions August-September Click HERE for list of sessions and to register
- Applications Open Noon (EST, Tuesday, September 13th
- Applications Close Noon (EST), Tuesday, September 27th, 2022
- Semi-Finalists Announced 3-4 weeks after application closes
- Finalists Announced Mid-February 2023
- PMF Hiring Event May
For more information, stop by the O’Neill Career Hub or email us at email@example.com.
To view the Fall 2021 O’Neill/Maurer Information session, click HERE.