Alumni Spotlight- Oscar Arredondo, Senior Financial Analyst, Intel Corporation

Oscar Arredondo is a 2018 O’Neill School alumnus who majored in Public Financial Management. He currently works as a Senior Financial Analyst for Intel Corporation in Portland, Oregon. Below are insights on his journey and advice for current O’Neill students:

• Can you tell our students a little bit about yourself and the work that you do?

I’m originally from the suburbs of Indianapolis. I graduated from O’Neill in 2018 with my bachelor’s in public finance. I also completed a Master of Science in Finance degree in 2019 from Kelley. I’m a Financial Planning & Analysis Analyst for the Software side of Intel. I support the firmware group to be specific.

• What did your professional journey look like from college to your position today?

During my bachelor’s degree, I had an internship performing basic business tasks at a local staffing company in Indy. Then I graduated and started my Master of Science in Finance program. After my graduate degree, I started at Intel in a role supporting capital expenditures for a few groups. I was in that role for a year and a half before rotating into my current position supporting software.

• What advice do you have for someone who wants to follow your career path?

My advice is to figure out what your personal story is and how it aligns with where you want to work. Learning how to tell your story is key when networking. Constantly networking is also key. I got to my current position through a combination of connecting with professors/professionals in the field.

• What skills are most important in your role?

Knowing Excel is a baseline skill any corporate finance position will want you to know. Communication across stakeholders and knowing how to tell a story with numbers is very important.

• Favorite networking technique or strategy?

Connecting with other alumni on LinkedIn. I met a lot of people through LinkedIn during the job search who I’m still connected with. It’s nice because that can sometimes open new doors down the road if I am interested in a specific opportunity at a different company.

• How was a failure or disappointment instrumental in your development?

I was originally rejected from Indiana University when I first applied. I also had a lot of trouble early on securing an internship and a full-time offer. Failure was good because it forced me to reevaluate studying routines, time management, and self-discipline.

Check out the Career Hub job board for internship and career opportunities in the finance industry. You can also subscribe to the weekly BAM newsletter to find curated internship and job listings.

By Carlin Way
Carlin Way Assistant Director of Career Services